Welcome to Whitehead Chiropractic, where our Austin back pain doctor treats upper, mid and lower back pain with no medication or surgical intervention.
Through a hands-on examination of your spine, Dr. Wendee Whitehead and our chiropractic team at Whitehead Chiropractic will determine the cause of your pain and develop a treatment plan unique to your health and needs.
What Causes Back Pain?
Whether you feel a sudden twinge or chronic pain in your back, finding the cause can be tricky. There are many potential causes of back pain.
Back pain can be the result of an underlying condition such as a slipped disc, herniated disc, sciatica, spinal stenosis or degenerative disc disease. One of the most common ways to hurt your back is through pulling or straining a muscle, either by overdoing it around the home or through a sports injury. We also see many clients who were hurt in an auto accident or on the job. Jobs with poor ergonomics also cause back pain by altering your posture.
Austin Lower Back Pain Treatment
The lower back is one of the most common locations of chronic pain and is one of the more common conditions we treat at Whitehead Chiropractic in Austin TX. The rib cage supports and stabilizes the spine in the thoracic area, but the lower back vertebrae have no such support system.
Although this makes the lower back highly mobile, it also makes it more likely to suffer from a misalignment or injury. Our lower back pain treatment consists of advanced techniques that can alleviate the pain, correct the misalignment and underlying cause, such as a pinched nerve, which can result in a number of other conditions.
Austin Upper Back Pain Treatment & Relief
Has a fall, an auto accident or other injury left you with an aching upper back? Have you always had a problem back that goes out on you seemingly without provocation? Is standing up from your desk after a day's work a less than enjoyable experience? For the best Austin upper back pain treatment, consult our chiropractor, Dr. Wendee Whitehead!
Upper back pain can have many causes, from acute injuries to a degenerative illness.
But most of the time, whatever the contributing issues, at the root of your pain lies one common factor -- your spine is not lining up properly, and the soft tissues attached to it are malfunctioning (and protesting) as a result.
Imagine your back as scaffolding, supporting the weight of your entire body. If that structure shifts to one side, so does everything attached to it. Muscles and ligaments undergo unnatural strain, leading to tears, sprains, and chronic pain or stiffness. To make matters worse, the delicate vertebral discs between your vertebrae are no longer receiving equal pressure, and one or more of them may bulge or herniate. Pressure on the spinal nerves or nerve roots can cause a pinched nerve, creating pain, numbness, tingling or loss of strength in the muscles that those nerves communicate to. For example, a lower back injury such as a slipped disc can lead to shooting pains down the sciatic nerve in the leg, a condition known as sciatica. Any section of the spine can be prone to such problems.
Austin Mid Back Pain Treatment
For Austin mid back pain sufferers, relief awaits here at Whitehead Chiropractic. Upper and middle back pain can occur anywhere from the base of your neck to the bottom of your rib cage.
Upper and middle back pain may be caused by:
- Overuse, muscle strain, or injury to the muscles, ligaments, and discs that support your spine.
- Poor posture.
- Pressure on the spinal nerves from certain problems, such as a disc herniation.
- A fracture of one of the vertebrae.
- and more
We use advanced methods such as the Gonstead Technique, which allows us to spot the exact point along your spinal column in need of correction. We can then apply highly precise chiropractic adjustments to those areas. The nerves will then function normally again, muscles and ligaments can heal, and pain and inflammation will recede. If you suffer from mid back pain in Austin or other acute or chronic pain symptoms, you may find that the Gonstead Technique is the right adjustment technique for you. We also prescribe strengthening exercises to help your back remain on the straight and narrow.
Back Pain Treatment in Austin: Our Approach
To deal with pain issuing from specific points, such as neck pain, TMJ, knee pain, carpal tunnel or headaches, a chiropractor must locate the exact area of your spine where a subluxation (misalignment) has thrown you off balance. That area must then receive a precisely delivered amount of force to correct the misalignment without overcompensating.
Here at Whitehead Chiropractic, our chiropractor, Dr. Whitehead, uses a range of techniques and therapies to relieve all symptoms related to back pain. It all begins with a thorough exam to figure out what has caused your back pain and how to best relieve your symptoms. During the exam, we may ask about your health history, daily routine, work, and more.
After we have a full picture of your injuries, we will put together a treatment plan to restore your wellness. Techniques that we may use to relieve your back pain include:
• Gonstead Technique: Dr. Whitehead has attended over 300 hours of postgraduate training in the Gonstead Technique, which focuses on precision adjustments. The Gonstead Technique is all about precision -- precise diagnosis and precise application of specific amounts of force. We start with a full examination to determine any misalignments and calculate the degree of displacement. We also make use of a differential skin temperature meter which displays even tiny differences in body heat that might indicate impaired physical response in the affected area. Once we have found the precise source of your pain or other symptoms, we then use specific adjustment tables and manual techniques that allow us to apply a highly controlled amount of force -- just enough to correct the misalignment.
As remarkably effective as the Gonstead Technique is for correcting spinal misalignments with pinpoint accuracy, it does require additional postgraduate training. Dr. Whitehead is one of several Austin chiropractors who has attended the additional hours of training in Gonstead Technique. So if you are interested in taking advantage of the Gonstead technique, contact our office and schedule an initial consultation.
• Activator - The activator allows us to make precise adjustments to your vertebrae, bringing the spine back into alignment. With the activator, we can make very minute adjustments that pay off big by reducing the inflammation, mobility restrictions, and pain.
• Thompson method - The Thompson method of spinal manipulation uses force and body weight to return the spine to its natural alignment, relieving pain within your body.
• Spinal manipulation (a.k.a. chiropractic adjustment) - We also use our hands to gently push or pull the spine back into alignment, restore the full range of motion to affected muscle tissue, and retrain your muscles.
• Trigger point therapy - Trigger points of tight knots of muscle cause pain and inflammation, but we can help. We'll relieve the trigger points, so you can make a full recovery.
• McKenzie exercises - Once we've relieved your pain, we will show you this set of exercises, which will keep you pain-free.
Aching Back? Call Our Back Doctor in Austin!
Rather than use expensive and potentially addictive pain medication to treat your back pain, come to our wellness center for complementary therapies that focus on the whole person.
We offer all new patients in the Austin area a free consultation, at no risk. Call our chiropractic clinic at 512-451-0115 or reserve your consultation online to get started.